What is ISO 22000? ISO 22000 is the International Food Safety Management Standard.
It combines and supplements the core elements of ISO 9001 and HACCP to provide an effective framework for the development, implementation and continual improvement of a Food Safety Management System (FSMS).
ISO 22000 aligns with other management systems, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, to enable effective systems integration.
Who is ISO 22000 applicable to?
ISO 22000 can be used by any organization directly or indirectly involved in the food chain including:
- Farms, fisheries and dairies
- Processors of meats, fish and feed
- Manufacturers of bread and cereals, beverages, canned and frozen food
- Food service providers such as restaurants, fast food chains, hospitals and hotels and mobile caterers
- Supporting services including food storage and distribution and suppliers of food processing equipment, additives, raw materials, cleaning and sanitizing products, and packaging
In summary, part or all of the ISO 22000 requirements will apply to any products that contacts the food industry or the food chain.
What are the benefits of ISO 22000 registration?
- Customer satisfaction - through delivery of products that consistently meet customer requirements including quality, safety and legality
- Reduced operating costs - through continual improvement of processes and resulting operational efficiencies
- Operational efficiencies - by integrating pre-requisite programs (PRP’s & OPRP’s), HACCP with the Plan-Do-Check-Act philosophies of ISO 9001 to increase the effectiveness of the Food Safety Management System
- Improved stakeholder relationships - including staff, customers and suppliers
- Legal compliance - by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impact the organization and its customers and testing compliance through internal audits and management reviews
- Improved risk management - through greater consistency and traceability of product
- Proven business credentials - through independent verification against recognized standards
- Ability to win more business - particularly where procurement specifications require certification as a condition to supply